Thursday, December 13, 2007

Bootcamp and Parallels updating session

I don't know why I waited to update Parallels until now. I was running Build 3214 until yesterday evening and I just upgraded to Build 5582 - which is most noticeably the newest (I believe) version of Parallels 3.0. I backed up my 3214 version of course, but everything is running smoothly so far.

I was also still running Bootcamp 1.2 Beta even though I have the 1.3 Beta. I had to change my computer's date to install the update and run the driver burner application. I'll update my Bootcamp partition later. I still like Bootcamp because it allocates all resources to Windows apps which is useful when I'm playing around with digital video, Flash or Captivate projects. And until recently, it was the only way to run iSight - which I use for my online conferencing for EVO.

I was surprised that there didn't seem to be an easy way to install the iSight drivers. The folks on the Parallels forum kept saying to install the Bootcamp drivers, but I didn't want to install all of them, just the ones for the webcam. I copied three files out of my Bootcamp 1.2 partition and was able to manually install the drivers. I've uploaded the drivers for everyone to use:
These drivers aren't based on the newest 1.3 Beta, but they worked just fine with Windows XP.

1 comment:

Kent Matsueda said...

Looks like MediaFire yanked my download. I'm not surprised. I probably violated copyright law. Sorry Apple.

I did find legal information from Parallels about how I can use the iSight camera with my Window OS.