Thursday, February 15, 2007

Expanding FTP options

I've been running Mac OS X Server Tiger for a couple of months now with great success. One of the services I've configured and use quite a bit is FTP.

I've been trying to make the process as easy as possible for any user I would authorize to use my service (i.e. my students). I think our network is behind a firewall that prevents us from using WS_FTP. I use FireFTP over FireFox all the time from my laptop here at work, so I know the service is working from here.

I've tried two PHP options: phpwebftp and mywebftp both of which haven't worked. phpwebftp wasn't too hard to get up and running. I had a problen when I configured the default language as "english", but once I removed that, it would start properly in the browser. Then I tried to configure the default to "binary" and was able to do that after searching both of their forums. Finally, I was stalled at "Directory emtpy..." or some hogwash. I can't get phpwebftp to properly display directories and their contents. mywebftp failed even earlier for me. I couldn't install the scripts. I ran the setup.php and things didn't install properly, so I'm not even going to bother.

I found another service, net2ftp and I hope that I can get that running this evening. I've been using their interface for class and we had some problems, but I don't think it was due to the FTP client software. I think my G4 laptop choked while transferring zipped archives over to it from school. Oh well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments: