Monday, February 19, 2007

phpMyAdmin

I got phpMyAdmin running on my server the other night. It was my second attempt to get it running. I had problems configuring it to work since the scripts couldn't connect to mysql even thought it was already running. I thought it was a problem with the sockets, but it was the "localhost" string. Apparently with my server, I need to use 127.0.0.1 whenever installation directions call for "localhost". Once I did that it fired up with out a hitch.

The second problem I ran into was an authentication issue. The database user that I defined wasn't able to connect to mysql via the script. When I removed the password for the user in the script, phpMyAdmin worked well enough. I didn't like the idea of running the scripts without password verification, so I took it off line temporarily until I figure out what's going on.

It's always best if I jam on a problem for a while, then leave it and come back to it later. The fresh perspective always helps me to see a different solution. I almost get frustrated at the things I missed the previous attempts, but I'm usually just happy that I figured out the solution.

No comments: